What can consumers do to help in the conservation of marine species?
- Choose to buy at stores which offer sustainably caught seafoods. A store where we buy fish is our closet link to the oceans – and if we buy sustainably caught seafoods, the store will too. If we don’t care, the store won’t either.
- Buy labelled products which show an adherence to traceability and fishing legislation. Demand more information.
- Check the fishing method and buy seafood caught in a sustainable way, eg pole-caught.
- Consume seasonal fish which are locally caught – to guarantee a more sustainable fishing, as well as to reduce transport routes and lower levels of CO2 pollution,
- Eat small fish – they’re lower on the food chain and contain less mercury.
- Diversify the kind of seafood you eat – this reduces the pressure on over fished species and lets them recover.